Please Note:  The content of this guide has been updated and incorporated into the 2018 version of the How to Articulate Handbook. 

Please click here for the most current edition.

Assessing Student-Initiated Requests for Articulation

An evaluator assessing an articulation request based on a student's request, rather than an institutional request, can use the principles and tools for articulation outlined in this guide to assess the equivalence of the courses and, if appropriate, to award transfer credit.

It should be noted that some institutions and programs have policies defining how recently a course must have been taken in order to receive transfer credit for an equivalent course. This is often found in programs such as computing science where course subjects and contents are regularly updated. In such cases, if a student has taken a course outside the timelines set by such policies:

  • they may receive transfer credit, but the transferred course will not be considered applicable to program completion requirements;

  • they may receive unassigned transfer credit rather than assigned transfer credit; or

  • they may not receive any transfer credit.

Institutions are encouraged to create and implement appeal processes that can be used by students who do not receive the transfer credit they requested. BCCAT's publication Transfer Credit Appeals in BC Post-Secondary Institutions contains recommendations for effective policy and practice regarding student appeals of articulation decisions. 

Most institutions maintain internal databases of courses granted transfer credit through student requests and may use these decisions as precedents for future instances where credit is requested for a course already in the database. While institutions may rely on these precedents, they usually do not consider them as records of formal articulation agreements.

If the receiving institution agrees to grant the transfer credit a student has requested and wishes to formalize this decision as an articulation agreement, it can use the TCES to notify the sending institution and BCCAT. The agreement will subsequently appear in the BC Transfer Guide.