Please Note:  The content of this guide has been updated and incorporated into the 2018 version of the How to Articulate Handbook. 

Please click here for the most current edition.

Student-Initiated Requests for Articulation

Articulation requests may also result from student requests for transfer credit. Generally, such requests are filed through the institution's admission or registration offices; the student may be required to complete a standardized form accompanying the request. Students are usually expected to provide an official transcript from the institution where they took the course. They may also be required to provide the official course outline from the institution where the course was taken, i.e., the information on the course that was approved by Senate or Education Council, and/or to provide the course syllabus or course outline that was distributed in class when they took the course.

Some institutions refuse to process or assess articulation requests if the student provides only the calendar description of the course, since this description usually does not include such information as the textbook used in the course, the number of course hours or classroom contact hours, or the evaluation components used to assess student performance. Some institutions will also refuse to process or assess articulation requests if the supporting information does not reflect the content or structure of the course at the time the student took the course, e.g., if the official course outline has been changed and the student cannot provide a copy of the official course outline that was in effect at the time of their enrollment.

Students may apply for transfer credit for courses taken as part of a completed degree at the sending institution. Some receiving institutions will not consider these transfer credit requests as a matter of policy. At other receiving institutions, students may apply for and receive transfer credit under these circumstances. However, it is important for students to be informed of residency requirements or other credit-related policies at the receiving institution, e.g., whether a certain percentage of courses in a program must be taken at the receiving institution, or any limitations on the amount of transfer credit can be used toward a credential at the receiving institution.

There are also increasing numbers of students who take courses at other institutions and transfer those credits back to their home institution. In such situations, students are usually required to obtain a Letter of Permission from their home institution to permit them to register at the other institution and to transfer the credits for that course. Students applying for this type of transfer credit should be advised in advance whether the home institution has any policies restricting the use of transfer credit toward the completion of a credential.